OUR VISION & PURPOSE
The Student Investment Group, informally called the SIG, exists to offer students and SIG members the opportunity to experience investing, receive education on investment related topics, and to empower them academically and professionally to achieve their desired financial goals.
OUR GOALS & BACKGROUND
The fund has grown from an initial value of $285,000 USD in 2007 to its current market value of approximately $460,000 as of October 2014. The goal of the SIG is to grow its portfolio to more than $1,000,000, at which point the fund can be used to provide scholarships for UNT students.
The SIG was created with a gift in 2002 from Colonel Guy M. Cloud, Jr. that endowed the Student-Managed Investment Fund (SMIF) and a Student Scholarship Program at the University of North Texas. The gift consisted of a Universal Life Contract and a Life Annuity Contract. By the end of 2007, the Universal Life Contract was liquidated to provide a source of funding for equity purchases based upon the SIG’s portfolio management procedures.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- 1st and 4th place in the 1st ever nation-wide TD Ameritrade ThinkorSwim Challenge (2014)
- Competitors in the 2014 G.A.M.E Conference hosted by Quinnipiac University in New York City, NY
- 1st place at the 2014 Texas Investment Portfolio Symposium competition in Dallas, TX at Southern Methodist University
- Finalist in the 2013 Investment Banking Oil & Gas Competition in Houston, TX hosted by the University of Houston's Investment Banking Scholars Club
- Finalist in the 2013 Texas Investment Portfolio Symposium in Houston, TX hosted by Rice University
- 3rd place in the 2011 Texas Investment Portfolio Symposium in Richardson, TX at the University of Texas at Dallas
Watch Our YouTube Info Video:
Facebook: UNT Student Investment Group
MEETING TIMES & DAYS
General/Executive Assembly Meeting: Mondays from 5 p.m. - 6 p.m. in the BLB in room 015
Portfolio Management Committee Meeting: Fridays from 2 p.m. - 5 p.m. in the BLB Trading Room